Commercial Property Improvement Fund (CPIF) Grant and the Town Centre Loan (TCL)

The grant will support up to 70% of the project cost and can be used to enhance building frontages, bring vacant commercial floor space back into beneficial business use (but not residential or holiday lettings etc.), or repurpose properties where appropriate within the designated shopping areas. (see attached maps)

The fund is available to the freehold owners of the property, or occupiers who hold a lease with 7 years or more remaining at date of application, and who have secured their landlord’s written consent to the proposed works.

Proposed works must fall in to at least one of the following categories

•       Structural and other substantive repairs to buildings in poor condition.

•       Re-instatement of lost or damaged architectural or heritage features that contribute to the historic character and appearance of the area.

•       Works required to enhance, repurpose or bring vacant and underused internal floor space back to beneficial economic use.

Only businesses that fall into the following categories may be eligible to apply:

  • A1 Shops – Shops, hairdressers, undertakers, travel and ticket agencies, post offices, pet shops, sandwich bars, showrooms, domestic hire shops, dry cleaners, funeral directors and internet cafes.
  • A2 Financial and professional services – Financial services such as banks and building societies, professional services (other than health and medical services) and including estate and employment agencies. It does not include betting offices or payday loan shops.
  • A3 Restaurants and cafés – For the sale of food and drink for consumption on the premises – restaurants, snack bars and cafes.
  • Although not mentioned on the guidance notes: Gym’s or area for indoor sports and recreation.

The  work currently needs to be completed by end November ‘22. Therefore, If you are wanting to submit an application for this grant I would strongly suggest due to the time constraints of this fund, you need to proceed to appoint an architect /QS to get drawings/plans along with tender/quotation prices done without delay. I can discuss this further with you should you choose to proceed.

For the Town Centre Loan (TCL) the same eligibility conditions apply but can include HMO’s (but not holiday lettings)  however it is only available to the freehold owners of the property. This is a 0% loan however an administration fee of up to 15% Max will be required to cover the costs of processing the application.

I have provided a few links that will help with regards to planning and building regs.

Pre-Application Advice – Conwy County Borough Council

Works Requiring Building Regulations – Conwy County Borough Council

Posted on May 27, 2022